Retribution Nerf - Offizielle Statements

Karius

Welt-Boss
Kommentare
Hier sind die offiziellen Statement von Ghostcrawler, die die Änderungen am Retpala erläutern.

[ Hier gibts auch was in deutsch, für die, die des englischen nicht mächtig sind: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?t...58370&sid=3 ]

Hello paladins,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to pre-announce these changes before the data were pushed to the beta. I won't try to sugarcoat it -- these are nerfs.

As I tried to explain before, we concluded a couple of weeks ago that Retribution was doing too much damage in PvP. We tried to nerf the burst damage through the previous changes to Divine Storm etc. Unfortunately, those changes didn't prove sufficient. Not only were paladins still destroying other classes in PvP, but we also found their PvE damage, even at level 80, was too high. Many classes were concluding they were too weak based on comparing their numbers to paladin numbers (and to be fair, hunters and in some cases mages and warriors).

Here are the new changes:

1) Judgements of the Wise: Mana gained reduced from 33% to 15% of base mana. We spent many hours arriving at this number. For example, we did a lot of Patchwerk fights, watching the mana bar to see when and if it ever went down. In BGs, we were seeing paladins able to go from target to target without pausing even when unleashing all of their attacks. While we don't want you to go OOM in a few seconds, we don't want you to ignore the mana bar either. Mana is not rage -- warriors can't typically start a battle with a full bar.

2) Judgement of Wisdom: mana gained reduced to 1% of maximum mana and proc frequency cut by 50%. This ability was flat out better than Vampiric Touch when the mana provided between the two really needs to be close in order for the decision between Shadow priest and Retribution paladin to be a real one.

3) Judgement and Seals: Damage reduced by 20%. This is the major damage adjustment -- a lot of damage was coming from these. We do realize this hurts Holy and Protection as well, and that is something for which we are prepared to offer compensation (particularly if it hurts Protection's threat generation).

4) Hammer of Wrath: Now can’t be used until the target is below 20% health. Our rule of thumb is that core "Execute-style" abilities work at 20% and talented abilities work at 35% health. We originally had Hammer at 35% based on some other limitations of the spell.

5) Art of War: Increased damage bonus to Judgements, Crusader Strike, and Divine Storm. I'll report back on the exact numbers here when we've settled on them.

I also want to add that the token Blessing of Might change wasn't intended as a joke -- it is designed so that Battle Shouts won't cancel the longer and more expensive Blessing of Might in a group setting.

These seem like pretty severe nerfs, but that was the intention. It is difficult for some players to ever be truly objective with issues surrounding their class, but in this case we felt Ret was severely overpowered. This was not in the realm of small tweaks to fix (though we did try originally). We overhauled the paladin class for Lich King, so it is unfortunate but not too surprising that the numbers for the dps spec require a lot of iteration. The mistake is ours, not the fault of the player base or beta testers.

Nerfing a spec or class is never fun. It means that our initial estimates of numbers were off and we know that the community is going to react negatively (to put it mildly). But we have to try and keep the game in a relatively balanced state and that is going to mean making decisions that are unpopular sometimes. If you need to blame someone for the nerfs, blame me.

As always, if we over-compensated, we'll adjust the numbers again. But as I said, our initial round of nerfs wasn't sufficient. Lest you fear that Lich King is upon as and you won't see any additional changes, that is not our point of view. We changed a lot in the game and we need to be able to recitfy problems. I would expect early patches or even hotfixes to deal with class or balance problems, and hopefully these will slow down as we get closer to major content releases. But nothing is off the table after we ship, down to rearchitecting talent trees if we think that is called for. This isn't to suggest we aren't happy with the state of the game. Rather, my word that we will continue to iterate on problem areas as they come up.

I also want to stress that we do not make balance decisions based on the QQ of other classes. At most, if there is a pretty vocal outcry that will encourage us to rerun the numbers to see if something is amiss. As vocal, and sometimes passionate and even logical as forum posts can be, they represent a fraction of the entire fanbase and it would be foolish for us to clobber one group of players solely based on the whining from another group.

Go ahead and vent if you have to. We won't delete posts or ban posters in this thread unless they are overly offensive. We do ask that you not launch a thousand other threads so that other paladin issues can still be discussed. Likewise, we have no problem with other classes engaging in the discussion but outright gloating or trolling will be frowned upon.

And I do apologize for putting you through this.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/5/11829377145...beta-build.html

=======================================================

I know many of you asked good questions before the posts hit their limit. I am not convinced that my answering many of these questions would calm anyone down, but I'll give it a shot. If not, when the paladin community has gotten it all out of their system, I'll still be here.

Also realize that there are probably a couple hundred questions at this point and I can't answer them all. Here are a few common themes:

I thought we were supposed to be bursty?
Yes, that's the design. It's also a tough design to nail because if you're too bursty the opponent doesn't even get to respond.

You reviewed our class last because you don't care.
We overhauled the entire class. We rebuilt the way Seals and Judgements work, and by and large it's a good change. Paladins got a lot of attention for Lich King. your response suggests to me that the correct way to balance the game in the future is to make a class terrible early on and then buff it so that players are happy and excited instead of fuming and disappointed. Trajectory is everything.

I thought you didn't want us to run out of mana.
We didn't want you to run out of mana in three hits, especially in a sustained dps fight. What we don't want is for a paladin to kill someone and move on to the next enemy without losing any mana. I'm a little surprised so many people deny this was going on or that it was a problem.

We think we have your mana in a good place now, but mana is one of those aspects of the game that requires a lot of adjustment and there are many classes right now who would still like us to further review how mana is working for their class. If you're running out of mana too fast, believe me, we'll hear about it and we'll adjust it if we weren't "surgical" enough this time around.

But we don't care about Battlegrounds.
A lot of people do care. And if you don't care about them right now, I'll warrant that's because they don't offer the rewards that Arenas or raiding do. This is something we want to address in the future.

Again, though, we think Ret was out of line in several situations. Other classes are OP in some situations too, and we have either recently nerfed them or are still discussing how we want to address those classes as well.

Look at all the other classes in here laughing at us.
Well, they're jerks. Many of them probably suspect they are OP too and have so far escaped the nerfbat. So far. We want Retribution to be a dangerous class to go up against. We don't want to see BGs with 30 Retadins on one side, which is actually something we were seeing. Yeah, I know it sucks that people say Lolet. It sucks when people say huntards too. That doesn't drive people away from playing either class. We're always going to have some amount of competition in this game, either directly in PvP or the damage race in PvE. If I can read 1200 angry posts from Ret pallies today, you can blow off some inane gloating from warlocks or warriors. We delete the trolling comments when we see them.

Why didn't we compensate Holy and Protection first?
We want Holy to have better dps than it did in BC, but that's a secondary consideration compared to them being good at healing (which we believe they are). We are also still committed to Protection being able to tank anything that a warrior can. Consider that the boss armor changes hurts warrior threat more than it does paladin threat. The net result should hopefully come out equal. So far I'm not aware of a boss fight in the game where a paladin MT struggles. As I said, though, this is something we're working on right now.

Why did I describe our initial attempts to nerf Ret as surgical?
Because that's what we tried to do. In retrospect, we were so worried about nerfing Ret too much that we ended up not fixing the problem. We should have done more sweeping changes initially.

Why did we say Ret was fine for so long?
Because we didn't want to have to nerf the spec. Ret players were having fun. We thought and hoped that some well publicized bugs were to blame for the excess damage. As I've said, if I wait to post until we're absolutely 100% certain, you're just not going to get as many posts. Many posters have said they appreciate getting occasional developer communication and insight. But that is going to come with some risk that things are going to change. As I said, I'll caveat it more in the future.

That you're somehow paying to beta test the game.
First, I don't really think we'll ever get game balance to a state where 90% of you would say "Yes, it's perfect! Don't touch a thing!" Second, it's an MMO. Things change. The game evolves. We are always going to be changing things on our end as well. Players would be just as happy as not enough changes as some of you are with too many changes.

You may also have noticed that we nerfed level 70 raiding and that the level 80 raids are pretty easy compared to our past instances. We wanted to make sure we weren't shining too harsh a light on balance differences until everyone had plenty of time to get used to the changes -- more time than even our large beta can offer. Nobody should get parked at the curb in Naxx, and by the time Ulduar and later instances come on line, I predict we will have made many balance changes.

We don't believe you because we've been at the bottom of the barrel before.
There's not much I can do to get you to believe me or not. I try to be honest so my words carry some weight, but I also try to joke around a little so you know I don't take myself too seriously. I don't know how many other ways to say that it sucks that your PvE wasn't competitive in BC or that you weren't a major Arena force. That's not where we wanted you to end up and not where we want you to end up this time. I'm not going to show you my daily tasks or how I spend my time so that you can oversee my progress and make sure it doesn't happen again. Sorry. The best thing you can do is point out situations where you're struggling so we can investigate. Most of you haven't even had a chance to test with these changes yet.

You're nerfing paladins because of PvP.
Read my initial post again. Ret PvE dps was also too high.

Our numbers are different from yours.
That's going to happen. We compare data when we can. I think you'd agree that the game balance would be pretty interesting if we automatically made adjustments whenever anyone suggested them.

You said I wouldn't get banned.
You're still going to get banned for explicit language, death threats or the like (thank you very much for those BTW). Try and make your point without resorting to text that will violate the posting regulations. Call me a jerk, if it will make you feel better. It boggles my mind that I actually need to point out that AIDS comments and the like aren't appropriate. If you're smart enough to raid or do Arenas on your character, you're smart enough to know how to make an intelligent post.

Added one more for clarification:

You only tested in Naxx, but paladins do bonus damage against undead.
Yes, we know that. We tested under a lot of different situations with and without undead and with different levels of gear and buffs present. I use Patchwerk as an example a lot because players understand that it is a very simple boss fight in which there is no running around, adds or damage to the raid.
[ Post edited by Ghostcrawler ]

Ghostcrawler
2008-10-26 18:05:57Re: Retribution nerfs in the latest beta buil
I am sorry if I can't answer all your questions. Here are a few.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q u o t e:
im not one to tell others how to do their jobs, but GC, you could have handled this whole situation MUCH better.. that's all i'll say.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to derail the thread, but if you have suggestions, please share them. Sometimes we need to make changes like this and figuring out better ways that don't shock the player base is useful.

Q u o t e:
you told everyone at blizcon you and the devs were happy with paladins at level 80, you said that you werent going to nerf us because of level 70 pvp, and that you wanted ret to be good in both pvp and pve, and to be within 5% of other dps classes.

What the hell happened to that?

We saw a lot of crazy numbers coming out of Naxx and Arenas. But when we looked at the data, we saw ridiculous crit numbers and other data that suggested the results were because of some of the bugs, such as the one where re-equipping a weapon could stack the bonus. We fixed that problem and hoped it would change things. But when we started running some of our own tests, we thought the numbers were still too high. We made a few changes, such as the Divine Storm change from Holy, and hoped that would fix it. It didn't. It was a pretty frustrating moment knowing we were going to have to come back out here and tell you that we nerfed you again.

Q u o t e:
don't expect GC to answer important questions like have you tested arenas? or what about mana burn or viper sting? and what about there being no int on our gear? he won't it's not going to happen because that would expose their nerfs for what they are a total gimp of the ret pally class.

You shouldn't have to stack mana and we don't expect you to put Int on your gear. Judgements of the Wise is still a good ability. But in its pre-nerfed state, we could do sustained dps in a PvE setting without *ever* going out of mana. In PvP, we might as well take the mana bar off the UI because it was just irrelevant to hitting any buttons.

Now I hear that some of you are saying you are having mana problems. Since we're not seeing that, we need to figure out the root of the discrepany. There could be another bug or a raid buff or something that is giving more mana than it should so that in some situations you never run out of mana and in some you're starved. If that's happening, we'll keep investigating and try to figure out why your experience is so different.

Ghostcrawler
2008-10-27 00:33:35Re: Retribution nerfs in the latest beta buil

Q u o t e:
So anyhoo, since we all know all this QQ wont amount up to anything (since i doubt they read all 50 pages of this thread, not that they care also, mind you)....

No, silly me, I did read it all.

There were some good responses, and I thank you for it. There were some good questions too, and I will try to find some time to answer them (reading them took a very long time).

While I do find some of the outrage to be over the top considering so few people have even been able to try the changes (which themselves were severe but hardly life-threatening), overall it was interesting to see the reaction. I do hope that some of it was caused, as several of you suggested, by the unfortunate timing of having a beta go live at the same time the forums went down. (Before you smell a conspiracy, do you really think I would have shifted over to the live forums if that were true?)

It's going to be challenging to keep discussing class balance in the Live forums the way I have in beta just given the magnitude of posts overall. I'm not sure how to have a conversation with so many thousands of people at once.
smile.gif

It is rewarding to once again be reminded that people really care so much about the game. Whether you choose to believe it or not, so do we.
Ghostcrawler
2008-10-27 01:09:56Re: Retribution nerfs in the latest beta buil
I'm not sure how many more ways to explain this, but I'll try again.

Q u o t e:
And yet, here we are. It's not just the nerfs people are angry about it is the way YOU lied to us, point bank, about it.

I never lied. I'm not sure why that is such a sticking point. I almost always say "we think" or "we believe" or "at this time." And even if I don't offer those caveats, we are allowed to change our minds. I never said "We won't ever nerf Ret." That would be a lie, and the risk of such is why I would never say it.

Q u o t e:
You said our PvE DPS was fine and squared away.

I thought it was. I never said "Expect no more changes to Ret." And even if I had, wouldn't that be a pretty ridiculous thing for me to say? What you're actually telling me, whether you are intending to or not, is never, ever say anything or it will be held against me down the road. This is why politicians end up talking so weasely, and I don't think any of us really want that.

I know everyone has antecdotal data, but I saw a Hyjal parse today in which the Ret paladin was #3 on dps AND #4 on healing. In Hyjal. Where mages, druids, locks and hunters are just AE'ing everything down. If that was the only anomaly I had seen, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But of course that has become the trend, not the outlier.

Q u o t e:
We trusted you when you said the nerfs would be small and surgical. Then not a week later you muppets run in with a chainsaw and carve up the whole thing.

I disagree that you trusted me. *You* might have, and I appreciate it if that was the case. The paladin community at large did not. They were outraged that they would be nerfed. The posts are still around - you can find them. This is usually the case when we have to nerf a class.

But I digress. The initial round of nerfs was not as severe as the most recent ones. When those changes didn't fix the problem, we had to make more severe ones. Think about it: if we thought the first round of nerfs wouldn't have worked, we would have just made big changes then rather than have to go through the whole episode twice. Heavens forbid if these changes aren't enough and we have to make any additional ones.

As I mentioned previously, if Ret had been underperforming and we recently announced buffs, I think you'd find dozens of pages of celebration here. That tells me this has a lot more to do with the... I don't know... the psychology, the humiliation or whatever of being nerfed than it does the actual numbers. It goes so far as to suggest a Machiavellian strategy: keep everyone's damage supressed and then buff everyone enormously right at the end of beta. The fans would go wild. Yeah that's cynical and manipulative and we'd never actually do it. But when you consider what I'm dealing with right now, it is attractive.
smile.gif

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/5/11829507901...ta-build-3.html

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
I also want to stress that we do not make balance decisions based on the QQ of other classes.
der witz des jahres...aber Ghostcrawler und seine aussagen kann man eh nicht mehr ernst nehmen.

nur wegen dem ganzen gejammer der pvp-möchtegern-imba-kiddies ist der retri jetzt im pvp und im pve wieder mal zur lachnummer generft worden.

der witz des jahres...aber Ghostcrawler und seine aussagen kann man eh nicht mehr ernst nehmen.der typ ist einfach nur strohdumm.

nur wegen dem ganzen gejammer der pvp-möchtegern-imba-kiddies ist der retri jetzt im pvp und im pve wieder mal zur lachnummer generft worden.

Nope weil die DPS zu hoch war.
Sonst hätten sie nur burst und mana generft.
wink.gif

Steht sogar mit im Text.

Btw ich mag die Art in der GC kommuniziert. Es ist mit Sicherheit nicht leicht einer WoW Community gerecht zu werden ^^ Mich interessiert auch der Gedanke dahinter, das Konzept der Klassenentwicklung und das kann man durch seine Posts teilweise einsehen. Das ist mir viel lieber als immer nur fertige Statements die man auch in den Patchnotes lesen kann.

zu beginn war lediglich ein burst-nerf angekündigt und dieser währe auch völlig berechtigt gewesen..ich glaube,darin sind sich alle einig.

aber eine klasse -wie schon seit 3 jahren in schöner regelmäßigkeit- erst grandios hochpushen und kurze zeit später so dermaßen kaputtnerfen das die klasse schlechter dasteht als vorher ist einfach nur lächerlich.

1400 dps mit 80 juhu wie ich mit 10 leveln höher weniger dmg machen darf als jetzt. ich finde es einfach lächerlich wie 90% aller nervs von pvp whinern ausgehen need only pve server wo pvp keinen einfluss hat

Tja - da durften wir auch mal kurz viel Schaden machen. War schoen. Werden wir noch unseren Enkeln erzaehlen koennen:

Opa: "Damals - da gab es 4 Wochen, da konnte der Vergelter richtig Schaden machen..."
Enkel: "Nie!!! Du schwindelst, Opa!"
Opa: "Doch doch - da war der Opa sogar unter den Top-DDlern im Raid."
Enkel: "Maaamaaa! Der Opa erzaehlt schon wieder Bloedsinn! Weiss doch jeder, dass Palas keinen Schaden machen."
Opa: "Ja - ganz frueher und jetzt nicht - aber damals, da gab es 4 glorreiche Wochen..."
*Enkel genervt weg*
*Opa traeumt vor sich hin*

das wäre mal ne möglichkeit die blizzard machen sollte: das auf pve servern nur pve balance qqs ernst genommen werden und auf pvp servern pvp qqs
so würde man wahrscheinlich ein besseres bild bekommen als auf iwelches gewhine von t6 dudus die bisl arena machen und "im stun" geownt werden :S

zu beginn war lediglich ein burst-nerf angekündigt und dieser währe auch völlig berechtigt gewesen..ich glaube,darin sind sich alle einig.

aber eine klasse -wie schon seit 3 jahren in schöner regelmäßigkeit- erst grandios hochpushen und kurze zeit später so dermaßen kaputtnerfen das die klasse schlechter dasteht als vorher ist einfach nur lächerlich.

Der Nerf trifft nicht nur den Retri. Als Prot wird man auch geschwächt:

2) Judgement of Wisdom: mana gained reduced to 1% of maximum mana and proc frequency cut by 50%. This ability was flat out better than Vampiric Touch when the mana provided between the two really needs to be close in order for the decision between Shadow priest and Retribution paladin to be a real one.

3) Judgement and Seals: Damage reduced by 20%. This is the major damage adjustment -- a lot of damage was coming from these. We do realize this hurts Holy and Protection as well, and that is something for which we are prepared to offer compensation (particularly if it hurts Protection's threat generation).

Das geht ganz klar auf Kosten des Aggroaufbaus und des Manahaushaltes. Ich bin gespannt wie das wird.

Heißt das jetzt also, dass man den Retri in die Ecke schmeißen kann und er wieder nichts drauf hat?

Heißt das jetzt also, dass man den Retri in die Ecke schmeißen kann und er wieder nichts drauf hat?

erfasst
victory.gif

da ich des events wegen meinen schami nich hochleveln kann, wird mein magier wieder mein main... weil arkane macht arkanbeschuss arkanae geschosse = BÄM

würde ich schon sagen...mit dem nerf ist der retri sogar noch nen tick schwächer als vor 3.02 geworden.
Wenn dem so ist, wird Blizzard das anpassen. Ham sie beim Krieger auch schon geschafft. (Ihr wisst schon, die andere Klasse, die so gut wie nie Buffs dafür viele Nerfs bekam in der Vergangenheit)

Wenn dem so ist, wird Blizzard das anpassen.
tja,nur wartet der retri auf diese anpassung schon 3 1/2 jahre.

und jemandem wie GC kann man eh nicht mehr glauben!!!!
erst sagt er es kommt überhaupt kein nerf,dann sollte nur der burst abgeschächt werden und am ende kommt der wohl heftigste nerf einer klasse seit es WoW gib dabei raus

...TO THE GROUND BABY!...

Meinen Retri post-Patch hochzulvln hat unheimlichen Spaß gemacht, aber ich bin jetzt fast 70 und mir ist nach dem Lesen der ganzen Änderungen ehrlich gesagt schon wieder die Lust auf Retri vergangen.

Wenigstens hab ich jetzt wieder nen Grund, mich aufs Zocken mit meinem Tankdudu zu freuen.
victory.gif

tja,nur wartet der retri auf diese anpassung schon 3 1/2 jahre.

und jemandem wie GC kann man eh nicht mehr glauben!!!!
erst sagt er es kommt überhaupt kein nerf,dann sollte nur der burst abgeschächt werden und am ende kommt der wohl heftigste nerf einer klasse seit es WoW gib dabei raus

...TO THE GROUND BABY!...
Naja...Krieger bekommen auch erst nach 3 1/2 Jahren die Möglichkeit mit High End Equip Low End Instanzen Sinnvoll zu bewältigen, statt wie bislang immer notgedrungen Off Equip oder schlechtes Tankequip anzuziehen, oder gar was ganz auszuziehen.

Und wegen Ghostcrawler...ich kann ihm noch immer glauben. Er kann ja schliesslich auch nur den aktuellen Stand der Dinge wiedergeben. Und er hat schon recht wenn er sagt, das man so etwas wie "es wird nie zu keiner Zeit jemals einen Retri Nerf geben" nie sagen kann/darf, und er hat das ja so auch nicht gesagt.

Es ist noch Zeit, und ob die Nerfs wirklich das Ende jeglicher Retri Hoffnung bedeuten mag ich noch nicht glauben.
Vor allem wenn man bedenkt, das speziell die anderen Klassen die Physischen Schaden verursachen durch die Bossänderungen (10% mehr Rüstung) wesentlich mehr Schaden verlieren werden, als Paladine (in Bezug auf diese Änderung), bei dem ja ein doch sehr großer Teil aus Heiligschaden stammt.

Dere!

Ich frag mich warum immer der Retri der schlechteste DD sein muss, als Supporter ist er auch maximal 7te oder 8te Wahl...

für mich ist das thema pala endgültig erledigt werde brav meine anderen chars hoch spielen (hexer, schurke, mage) aber nicht mehr den pala es reicht ich habe bei pre bc schon zu viel mit gemacht und das ist der übelste nerf seid dem es wow gibt den jeh eine klasse bekommen hat

Zurück