ficlet: C is for Carver and Jo

Millijana

Rare-Mob
Kommentare
Buffs erhalten
Dieses ficlet bildet einen Auftakt zu einem neuen Projekt.

Im fanfiction bereich sind zwei Dinge sehr beliebt:

1. Alphabete
Man nimmt sich zu jedem Buchstaben eine passende Überschrift und schreibt ein dazu passendes Kapitel. Oftmals wird das genutzt um Vergangenheit, Zukunft oder Hintergründe der Charaktere über die man schreibt weiter auszubauen.
Oft ist das auch für den Autor eine gute Übung seine Charaktere besser kennen zu lernen. Es kann also bei der Charakterentwicklung auch helfen.

Ich nutze es hier eben zur Entwicklung. Ich bin im Grunde noch einer Planungsphase, möchte aber die Charaktere und die Beziehungen in denen sie zueinander stehen besser ausleuchten und für mich besser kennenlernen.
Hier geht es nun also um den Hauptcharakter Josephine Hawke und verschiedenen Situationen in ihrem Leben vor der eigentlichen Geschichte, die ich dann irgendwann anfangen werde, wenn ich soweit bin.

2. Modern AU
Das sind fanfictions wo die Charaktere des gewählten fandoms in eine moderne Umgebung geworfen werden. Hintergründe und persönliche Geschichten werden auf die Umgebung angepasst.
So ist der Heilmagier, vielleicht ein Arzt und die Blutmagierin eventuell Drogenkonsumentin.
Eben, was einem dazu einfällt.
Ob man eine komplett realistische Umgebung nimmt, oder die fantastische aus dem Spiel (oder Buch oder was auch immer) bleibt einem selbst überlassen.
Ich habe mich für eine Mischung entschieden. Da ich diese Geschichte komplett in englisch schreiben werde und auch fast ausschließlich auf englischsprachigen Plattformen veröffentlichen werde wähle ich eine amerikanisch angehauchte Umgebung.

Hier werde ich wohl nur das Alphabet posten, da ich hier die Kapitel weglassen kann, welche dann vielleicht nicht jugendfrei sind, da sie nicht auf einander aufbauen. Ich poste das ja noch nicht mal in richtiger Alphabet-Reihenfolge
biggrin.png

Hier also der erste Teil:

C is for Carver and JoShe heard his car in the driveway and made her way out to the front porch and put both bottles on the small table. By the way he had pulled the handbrake she could tell he was still in one hell of a mood.
The whole time she was nodding and answering the upset voice on the other side of the line. “Hm.” She rolled her eyes. “Yes mom, I will tell him. Yes. Sure. No, no, forget that. I... Okay, fine. I’ll do that. Ah yes. Mhm.” That was her whole part in this conversation. It has always been this way.
Jo watched her brother cross the front lawn and finally reach the stairs to the porch. He eyed her suspiciously while taking a seat.
“Yes, I will call you right back, mom. Yeah, sure. Bye.” She pressed the button to hang up and tossed the phone on the table.
She looked at her younger brother who was leaning back in his chair. He seemed not aware of what he had kicked off.
“Carver, you are such a douchebag, sometimes, do you know that?”
He snorted and made an attempt to get up from the chair.
“Don’t you dare run away. You’ll stay and explain!”
He threw a glance at her and leaned back again. “Fine.”
“You knew she would call me, so don’t look at me that way.”
“But maybe, dear sister, I thought you would understand and not deplore my decision before talking to me.”
She laughed dryly and handed him one of the beer bottles. “I’m not deploring your decision, I’m deploring you behaviour. ‘You can do nothing to make me change my mind’” She shook her head and opened her own bottle, her back leaning against the window frame behind her. “Really? That’s what you said?” She took a big swig of her beer.
He sighed. “More or less.” He opened his bottle. “Jo, I’m not the little boy she can make the decisions for anymore. I’m capable of making my own.”
She nodded. “Yeah, you are.” She pushed herself away from the frame and pulled another chair nearer. After she’d sat down she pointed the neck of her bottle at her brother. “But you are also old enough to know this is the best kind of reaction to make her even more upset.”
Carver nodded. “I should have known. But I was so sure she would at least be a bit...” He broke off.
“Proud?” Jo helped her brother.
“Yeah. Proud”, he answered quietly. “Jo, this is a great chance for me.”
She watched him for a while while they both drank their beer. “I know,” she said eventually. “I can’t even remember the first time you talked about it. You were... fifteen maybe.”
“Twelve.”
She snorted. “Dad was still alive, right. I remember the lesson he gave you, after you told him. ‘If you really wanna take that path, it’s a hard one. Good grades, good health, perfect physical shape.’ That’s what he said.”
Carver nodded. “Basically.”
Jo smiled. “He told you he would be very proud, if you would make it.” She looked at her empty bottle. “Carver, you know, none of us can stop you from doing this.”
“But a bit of encouragement wouldn’t be too bad.”
“Oh please. Wanna know what she is thinkin’ about? That damn folded flag in her hands while she is crying in front of your fucking coffin.” She spat out the words while she stood up. “Want another one?” She pointed to the beer in his hands.
“If I can stay for the night.”
“I forgot to tell you: She asked me to say that you may only return if you’ll come back to your mind. I suppose that means you’ll stay here your whole visit.”
“Great.” He grumbled and leaned back a bit further until he more laid in his chair than sat.
Jo took the empty bottle from her brother and headed into the kitchen.
She knew exactly why he did this, she knew back when they were children, and she still did. That was the reason he came to her instead of dealing with their mother. Leandra was a wonderful mother, full of love for her children, but after losing her husband she tended to be a bit overprotective.
With her eldest daughter being a cop she was afraid enough to lose another member of her family.
When Carver decided to become a soldier she called Jo three times a day. She tried to persuade her daughter to talk Carver out of joining the army. But in the end it was Jo who persuaded her mother to support her son, instead of badmouthing his wish.

Carver suffered under being a twin. He loved his twin sister dearly, but he hated not being seen as an individual. He has always been compared to Beth. It was always the twins and never Carver alone. Jo had always tried to teach their mother to stop calling her siblings that, even when they were alone. But Leandra behaved as if she didn’t understand what was the problem.
Carver had had a hard time back then. He was fighting for his dream and his individuality. He wasn’t much like Bethany. Although the two of them had a special connection to each other that was frightening sometimes, he had a completely different way of dealing with things.
Carver was straightforward, he called things the way they were and didn’t think it could hurt anyone.
When father died he became more bitter. In his teen years he rebelled a lot. Jo could remember him skipping school and drinking too much alcohol when he was far too young for that. Once she had caught him smoking pot in the backyard when their mother had visited some friends over the weekend. Jo had been 24 by that time and she was about to move into her first own apartment in a few weeks.
She had never told anyone about it, but had talked some sense into Carver again. Knowing he wanted to join a special force it was easy to explain that they probably wouldn’t take a drug addict.
Things got better with one or two outbreaks of rebellion on Carver’s side. All of them could be handled well by Jo. She talked straight to him, taking him as serious as he deserved.
Aggression and rebellion were his way of mourning the loss of his father. Jo had talked to a grief counselor and had learned that this was one way for young people to deal with their loss.
Leandra couldn’t handle it. Even after years she still grieved for her husband so much, she couldn’t stand even talking about him. So Jo took up the baton.
And now it was her regular job to act as a mediator between her mother and her brother.

She returned to the front porch and watched her brother through the screen door. He was flipping through some messages on his cell phone.
He looked too big sometimes… With all his muscles, his short hair, he seemed so big. Too big for her front porch. He snickered over something he read in one of his messages.
Jo smiled and walked through the door. And sometimes, when he laughed like this, he seemed more like a big boy than a grown up man.
She sat down in her chair and handed him his beer.
“You’ve talked to Beth lately?”
“Are you trying to lead me on sidetracks?” she scoffed. “But no I haven’t. Not in about.... 4 weeks I think. Mother keeps me updated though.”
Carver laughed victoriously once. “Not as much as I can do.” He handed her his phone, now a picture of a blonde man shown on the screen. “This is her new guy.”
Jo raised an eyebrow suspiciously. The man was handsome. Maybe her own age. Light brown eyes, he had a strong jaw and a prominent nose. He smiled a bit sheepishly on the picture, though there was something stern in his face that made Jo sure he hasn’t always been this way.
“Who’s he?”
“They met 3 weeks ago on some charity event. He’s been a high ranking officer in the army, but retired after his father died.” Carver snickered over something only he knew.
“And?” Jo looked irritated at her brother. “What’s so funny about it?”
“He’s the senator’s illegitimate son.”
“You’re kidding!”
“Nope, ma’am.”
Jo threw her head back in laughter. “Maker, she always had higher goals. What else do you know of him? If he’s not with the military anymore, what is he doing then?”
“Politics. He traces his father’s path.”
“Senator?”
Carver nodded.
Jo raised her feet to put them atop of the porch’s railing. She was now also more lying in her chair than sitting. “I suppose she plans on staying in Denerim then?”
“I dunno. She said, before she’ll do anything else she will finish her study. Let’s see if they are still together then.”
Jo nodded. She smiled wickedly while asking her brother her next question. “What about you? Anything new on this concern?”
Carver laughed. “If you explain how I should manage it, with my job and everything. Not the best initial situation for starting a relationship.”
“True.”
“You know that better than me, I guess? What about you and this coroner guy? Anders, isn’t it?”
“What do you mean?” She sighed.
“Are you friends again?”
“We’ve never been anything else. That’s why we don’t have sex anymore.”
Carver chuckled. “Wise decision, sister. He was too soft for you anyway.”
Jo guffawed. “Too soft? You can sleep here in this chair if you keep being this sassy.” She sipped from her beer. “Too soft... tsk.”
Carver shook with laughter. “Seriously, Jo. I can’t imagine you being a doctor’s wife.”
“He’s no doctor in the classical sense.”
“I know, but it doesn’t matter. You need someone who is eye to eye to you, someone more .. I don’t know...”
“More what?”
“I’m still thinking.”
“Oh, that’ll take a while. Wake me up when you’re either finished or it’s time for me to go to work.”
He pushed her in her chair, so that she nearly fell off it when two of its legs left the ground. “Hey! I can even remove the chairs for the night,” she menaced.
He chuckled again. “Do whatever you’re pleased to do, sister.”
They sat there silently for a while. “Seriously, Jo. The man you can be happy with is a bit more badass than this doctor-friend of yours. He would lose all of your fights.”
“And that is a bad thing?”
“Yeah, because you are not always right!”
Jo snorted. “What do you know?”
They kept teasing each other for a while. When the sun was setting and after the fourth bottle of beer she eventually raised from her chair. “Okay, I’m off. It’s work tomorrow.”
“Already?”
“Yeah. I’m nearly thirty now. I’m getting old, you know?”
“Seems so.”
She claped the back of his head lightly. “If you want me to deal with mother for you, you should maybe behave a bit more polite.”
“I’m drunk.”
“You are not. I’ve never seen you drunk since you were 18.”
“Well, you don’t see me very often.”
She sighed. “Yeah far too rarely. I guess in the future it will be even more this way.”
He got up and looked very serious. “I suppose so.”
“You know that we will miss you, don’t you?”
“You already said that a few years ago.”
She sighed heavily and looked at him. “Carver but this time it’s different. You will be sent to the most dangerous places in this fucked up world, with no certainty of coming back alive or at all.” She dropped her gaze to the bottle in her hand.
“Hey, don’t do that.” He laid one of his big hands on her shoulder. He was so much like their father.
“Carver, we are frightened as hell to lose you. I know you wish to do this, but you need to know that you mustn’t do that to let us be proud of you. We already are. For many reasons, not your fucking carrier. For yourself, the man you are - as insensitive as you might be sometimes.”
He sighed heavily, lifting his head until he looked up into the sky. “I want to be proud of me myself, Joey.”
She looked at him surprised. He rarely called her ‘Joey’. That he did now meant that she was getting to the core.
“This is what I want to do, Jo. I have thought about this for a very long time. Really. I am a soldier. I might as well die during any assignment I will get in the future. But if I do, I wanna be sure that it was not some trivial shit. And that’s very likely considering the assignments I got in the past. Probably being run over by a car, or something like that.”
“With your luck? You probably shoot yourself.”
He smiled. “I know what I am doing here. And I know the danger, but still this is my wish.”
“Okay, I think I just wanted to be sure that you don’t take this lightly.” She made a step nearer to her brother and hugged him and he returned the gesture. “Just don’t die, okay?”
“I’ll try.”
She heard the relief and the smile in his voice. She was still afraid of losing him, but she couldn’t choose his path for him. The only thing she could do was to make sure that he knew what he was getting himself into.
“Now, let’s get inside, the neighbours are already talking I guess. The cop from next door getting drunk on her front porch with her soldier brother. That’ll make for some gossip.”
He laughed. “You give them reasons to gossip? I should talk to them, while you are at work tomorrow.”
“Don’t stretch it, Carver.”
“Yes, Ma’am!”

She talked to their mother the next day. Leandra still had problems accepting that her son was willingly risking his life - even more than he was doing anyway. But she understood that this was his decision and it would be important for him to get her support.
Carver made it through ‘Hell Week’ in his first attempt. The following weeks were hard as well, but he achieved very good results in all fields and finally received his badge at the end of the training.
The whole family gathered when he came for his visit after his first assignment. He wore his badge proudly - as well as his new scar on his left eyebrow.

Zurück